Most people do not actually realize how serious of a threat mold can be. Although illnesses caused by it are becoming more and more of a problem, symptoms of mold exposure are often taken lightly, most even assume that these symptoms are just from a cold or hay fever.
If you have mold in your home, you are likely to experience symptoms of mold exposure but don’t realize it.
Symptoms of Mold Exposure
In general, mold symptoms are classified in three types: toxic, allergic and infections.
Allergic Symptoms: Allergic reactions are the most common type of symptom. Allergic symptoms are a result of the immune system trying to fight off the mold spores that an individual unknowingly breathe in. It is the defense of the immune system against harmful particles that find their way into the body.
Allergic reactions to mold exposure may range from a simple sore throat to more serious ones like hives. Other symptoms include: coughing, wheezing, sneezing, difficulty breathing, blocked/itchy/runny nose, skin rash, sinus headaches/congestion, watery/bloodshot/itchy eyes, itchy ears, hair loss, irritated throat and itchy skin. The longer a person is exposed to mold, the more severe these allergic reactions become.
Allergies caused by mold may be reduced by taking medications. Ask your doctor what medicine is ideal for your case. Medications for mold exposure are usually available in pharmacies. Keep in mind, though, that nasal sprays and pills for mold allergies only minimizes the allergy. They do not completely get rid of the symptoms.
Toxic Symptoms: There are approximately tens of thousands of mold species, but only about 16 of them are toxic. These mold species release chemicals called mycotoxins, which are highly toxic. Symptoms from toxic mold are much worse than that of an ordinary mold. Severe toxic symptoms include mental impairment, bleeding, cancer, internal organ damage, and, in rare cases, even death.
Mold Infections: When mold spores are inhaled, they go in the lungs and accumulate, causing mold infections. Those who are sickly, has weak immune system, and the elderly are the most prone to mold infections because their defenses might not be strong enough to ward off the mold. Similar to toxic symptoms, mold infections can cause death.
Tips to Avoid Mold and Its Symptoms
While mold symptoms can be reduced with shots and medications, the best solution to avoid its symptoms is to prevent mold exposure. And to do that you’ll need to remove mold from your home to avoid inhaling mold spores and allergens.
- If you have allergies and find that mushrooms, yeast and any other fungus-containing food is making it worse, it would be best to avoid them.
- Once your home is mold-free, it is vital to keep it that way. Clean periodically and vacuum to eliminate build up of mold and minimize allergy-causing mold spores from proliferating and spreading.
Don’t wait until your symptoms get worse. If you fear you have mold in your home, call a professional to eliminate the problem immediately.
For more information, see: Get Rid of Mold on Walls